Re: mosquitto package is broken and orphan

Jesus Cea <jcea%jcea.es@localhost> writes:

> I am not experienced enough to solve this by myself, probably. I can
> try, but it would take a lot of effort for something that a more
> experienced guy can just recognize as trivial to solve.

> It can be an interesting exercise, nevertheless, if nobody else stands up.

Well, perhaps.  But we try to encourage people to learn and you have to
start somewhere.

> Setting maintainer to "pkgsrc-users@" looks like trusting the "crowd" to
> solve the problem. I don't know about the culture here (sorry!) but I
> have the feeling than somebody has to take personal ownership of this,
> not just "the crowd", somebody else problem. Maybe I am mistaken, I
> don't know. I just arrived to pkgsrc and I am not aware of how you
> manage these events. In fact, since the package is in WIP, could be the
> case that pkg-users@ just decide to drop it entirely, something I am
> afraid of.

It does mean "the crowd".  But really, MAINTAINER denotes someone who is
actively looking after the package.  When there is a MAINTAINER, and you
want to do something possibly disruptive (major version update, changing
options), it is expected that you will ask the MAINTAINER.  But if
MAINTAINER is pkgsrc-users, you can just make any reasonable change
without having to specifically ask.

> Thanks. I am aware that I am doing a lot of noise (and more to come, be
> wary), that I am not aware of the local culture and that I am an
> outsider. I am confident that, eventually, I will contribute back if
> somebody cares enough to tutor me for a while.

That sounds good.  We are happy to have new people.

> I am currently using SmartOS and talking with those guys they say that I
> should probably send pull requests to the joyent pkgsrc github
> repository and that they will invest the time to upstream what is
> appropriate to master pkgsrc. Is that OK for you?. Any advice?.

Yes, that's fine.  Basically joyent people are particualrly concerned
about pkgsrc on smartos, and that's natural and totally fine, and if
they want to spend the effort to process your pull requests and merge
them I (as a non-joyent pkgsrc person) think that's great.

> I just collided with owner of "libopus" upgrading to version 1.1.4
> because I am not working in the master CVS (oh my god!) repository.
> Wasted effort :).

Hopefully you learned something about upgrades in the process and not
totally wasted.  Yes, it's still CVS, which actually works fine for what
we're doing, even if it is viewed as old-fashioned.  But trust me, it
was really shiny in 1994!