Re: mosquitto package is broken and orphan

On 23/01/17 15:24, Greg Troxel wrote:
> If someone says they are not interested, you can set MAINTAINER to
> pksrc-users@ or to yourself.  Note in the commit message that you asked
> and they said they are no longer maintaining.
>
> Then you can fix the package.
>
> Or, you can just fix it and not change MAINTAINER.

I am not experienced enough to solve this by myself, probably. I can
try, but it would take a lot of effort for something that a more
experienced guy can just recognize as trivial to solve.

It can be an interesting exercise, nevertheless, if nobody else stands up.

Setting maintainer to "pkgsrc-users@" looks like trusting the "crowd" to
solve the problem. I don't know about the culture here (sorry!) but I
have the feeling than somebody has to take personal ownership of this,
not just "the crowd", somebody else problem. Maybe I am mistaken, I
don't know. I just arrived to pkgsrc and I am not aware of how you
manage these events. In fact, since the package is in WIP, could be the
case that pkg-users@ just decide to drop it entirely, something I am
afraid of.

> Don't worry - the policy is probably not clearly articulated.
> Generally, as long as you ask and try to be polite (which you definitely
> are doing), thihngs are ok.

Thanks. I am aware that I am doing a lot of noise (and more to come, be
wary), that I am not aware of the local culture and that I am an
outsider. I am confident that, eventually, I will contribute back if
somebody cares enough to tutor me for a while.

I am currently using SmartOS and talking with those guys they say that I
should probably send pull requests to the joyent pkgsrc github
repository and that they will invest the time to upstream what is
appropriate to master pkgsrc. Is that OK for you?. Any advice?.

I just collided with owner of "libopus" upgrading to version 1.1.4
because I am not working in the master CVS (oh my god!) repository.
Wasted effort :).

--
Jesús Cea Avión                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea%jcea.es@localhost - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/