Re: ANN: Availability of pkg(8)-capable pkgsrc

On 11/13/2016 02:06, Thomas Mueller wrote:
I have some NetBSD installations, now idle pending update, following
a crash that corrupted the GPT partition table, though I subsequently
seem to have recovered all data.

Can this pkg(8)-capable pkgsrc be used on an installed system with
many packages, or do I need to clean everything first?

I haven't tested it and I wouldn't recommend it, but I think it would be possible to convert without cleaning first. Your system would be rather nasty because everything that is previously installed will be without registration until they are rebuilt and reinstalled.

I would clear everything in /usr/pkg/* first or at least remove /usr/pkg from the PATH and choose a new localbase.

Can synth be used in place of pkg_rolling-replace to update installed
packages?

yes.
caveat 1) Synth hasn't been ported to pkgsrc yet. There are a few challenges, the biggest being multi-version support. If/when synth comes, it may be limited to one version of each MV type initially.

caveat 2) It's not synth handling the inline replacement. Pkg(8) is doing it. Synth provides the repository of package on which pkg(8) operates. Synth will build/rebuild what is required, update the repository, then pkg(8) will handle the system updates seamlessly.

tldr; pkg_rolling-replace is a relic of the current "pkg" format which is unnecessary (and probably unsupported) with the "pkgng" format.

Can I download through "git clone" rather than the master.zip, and
would I update by "git pull"?  I could do that from either FreeBSD or
NetBSD.

Of course. I only use master.zip as an example because a clean system wouldn't have git already installed. Using git would be preferred.

I have substantial experience with pkg on FreeBSD, where I build
packages through FreeBSD ports.

I just looked in pkgtools and sysutils categories through the github
web interface, and synth was not there.

Correct. I spent an embarrassing number of days just getting pkg(8) to work pkgsrc. I haven't even started work on Synth (the porting will not be trivial). I was also observing how USERS would receive pkg(8). If it's a dud then there's not to much point in continuing the synth work.

If you still have those FreeBSD boxes, I recommend that you use Synth there, if for no other reason than to become familiar with it.

John

---