Re: Artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms, and neural nets

Start researching on what each university is doing for their approach to AI.
Access what you are available to do.
Build each application on the architecture which is best suited for that type.
I.e.: SPARC64 for database. OpenBSD is strong on this architecture.
ARM32/64 for short term memory/ database loading - from architecture to architecture and OS to OS - using NetBSD and/or Debian/other Linux.
Power32/64 for Machine learning on FreeBSD PPC64 and/or Debian/other Linux.
Et al.
Set up your environment to boot strap to another machine such as a CISC platform - AMD64/i386 - for your project.
Let the schools know of this and ask them to work along with you.