Re: 6.1_2015Q3 and X11 dependencies

On Thu, 2015-12-24 at 09:44 -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf%ping.net.au@localhost> writes:
>
> > I'm running a headless AMD64 server without X11R7 binaries. When
> > attempting to update packages from 6.1_2015Q2 to 6.1_2015Q3 pkgin
> > returns many lines similar to
> >

> > /usr/X11R7/lib/libxcb.so.1, needed by pkgin-0.9.3 is not present in this
> > system.
>
> Are you trying to use the official packages on nebsd.org?
> Can you post the link from pkgin repositories.conf?  Did you download
> the new pkgin and look at it with pkg_info?
>

> This sounds like a bug.  On my system, pkgin (locally built) depends
> only on
>
>   pkg_install>=20130901
>   libarchive>=3.1.2
>
> which seems quite sane.   But that system is netbsd-6  with
> X11_TYPE=modular.  Still, pkgin seems x-less.
>
> pkgsrc does assume native X for 6, so the binary packages will be built
> against that, which will cause failures for X-using packages.  I realize
> you understand that, and that your complaint is that packages which
> should not have a dependency on X seem to, but I want to caution others
> that not installing X leads to being on thin ice with binary packages
> that assume X.

I've the following entry in the repository.conf file:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/$arch/6.1_2015Q3/All

I usually would do:

pkgin update
pkgin upgrade or pkgin full-upgrade

to update installed packages, which worked flawlessly until now.

I've just noticed that the system still used an old version of
pkgin-0.8.0nb1. AFter manually upgrading to pkgin-0.9.3 using pkg_add
and all appears to work again. Not sure why pkgin didn't get updated in
the past.

pkgin requires pkg_install, which also installs
pkg_{add,admin,create,delete,info} duplicating the native NetBSD
binaries.

Perhaps a conflict between the native and pkgsrc utils?