Re: OS X 10.11.1, non-existing SDK after latest El Capitan update, x11/modular-xorg-xquartz

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 04:52:14PM +0100, Tobias Nygren wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 11:16:26 -0400
> Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> > > This is how it was implemented previously.
> > > The problem is that Darwin.mk does not always define OSX_SDK_PATH.
> > > If /usr/include/stdio.h exists it will be left undefined.
> >
> > This seems complicated and I realize there are good reasons, but I don't
> > see why setting OSX_SDK_PATH should belong in individual makefiles,
> > rather than having mk/* set things correctly.
> >
> > Is the issues that xquartz someone only builds with an sdk, vs things in
> > /usr/include?
>
> Yes, it needs frameworks it can link against, from
> ${OSX_SDK_PATH}/System, not ${OSX_SDK_PATH}/usr/include. So, again,
> it would be good if we could change Darwin.mk in a way that it always
> makes an effort to set OSX_SDK_PATH. But I don't know about the
> historical reasons for why it is done the way it is, currently.

Looking at the CVS logs for Darwin.mk and the comments in the file
itself, it seems as if Xcode 5 and earlier installed headers under
"/usr/include" (this directory is not even present on my machines). It
also seems that running "xcrun --show-sdk-path" (without the "--sdk"
switch) will return the latest SDK, even if this is "too new" (newer
than the current system version). That's why it is as it is now, it
seems. The problem now, of course, is that the latest Xcode 7.1 (like
the previous version 7.0.1 apparently) installs the 10.11 SDK, not an
SDK version that corresponds to the Mac OS X version (10.11.1).

I'm unsure what the if-statement in the following lines do:

OSX_VERS!=      sw_vers -productVersion
.  if ${OSX_VERS:R:R} != ${OSX_VERS:R}
OSX_VERS:=      ${OSX_VERS:R}
.  endif

--
:: Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri, Bioinformatics Developer, BILS,
:: Uppsala University, Sweden