Re: clang builds and /var/tmp

Le 21/10/15 15:06, Greg Troxel a écrit :

Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

The purpose of /var/tmp is to be a globally writable temp directory.
If you do "ktrace gcc -o test test.c" you will find that the gcc +
binutils toolchain too creates many temporary files there, unless -pipe
is used. A good solution to preserve the life of your ssd is to mount
tmpfs on /tmp and /var/tmp. But beware that this breaks virecover.

That's all kind of true, except that /var/tmp is supposed to persist and
tmp is not.  So it seems broken for anything to put ephemera in
/var/tmp.

I see your point that gcc does this too.   Do you know why they made
that choice?

As joerg mentioned, it kinda depends if P_tmpdir is defined when things are built, not to mention the value of TMPDIR.

Turns out in my case (and from what I see, NetBSD) stdio.h defines P_tmpdir (under conditions) to "/var/tmp/".

I notice that it appears Linux doesn"t bother defining it and FreeBSD changed a number of years back from "/var/tmp/" to simply "/tmp/".

I'm finding I also need to define TMPDIR in my .xinitrc otherwise gnome and co all use /var/tmp!

So far simple builds seem fine with the patch indicated prior, I had to put off the bulk build but I should have one (if nobody else does prior) by this weekend.

cheers