Re: clang builds and /var/tmp

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 08:52:44AM +0200, Richard PALO wrote:
> just noticed with concern with clang that /var/tmp is used by default during builds.

The longer and technically more correct way is:

clang uses /var/tmp as hard-coded fallback if it is (a) the content of
P_tmpdir or (b) the temporary file is supposed to survive a reboot. The
latter normally only happens for automatic crash reports. For various
reasons, many system default to (a). The fallback is not used if one of
the commonly supported environment variables is set.

> This seems to be killing my boot SSD which is supposed to be, for the
> most part, read-only. I have my swap on a different fast SSD + 32G ram.

I would find that surprising, given that clang normally does not use
temporary files and therefore only writes to /var/tmp when combining
compilation and linking in one step or when using -fno-integrated-as.
Even for a full bulk build, that shouldn't be that much writes.

Joerg