Re: Update of goffice0.10 and gnumeric112?

Havard Eidnes <he%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> Reading the "release series" announcements doesn't make me think
> there's any incompatibilities in file format, save for the addition of
> various new functions in 1.10.

So writing with 1.12 should work with 1.8 later, if no bleeding-edge
functions are used, probably.

> The 1.12 series is up to release #23 now, so it should have been
> approaching maturity already.  They seem to follow the Linux "odd
> numbers are development" release numbering convention, so 1.9.x was a
> development release series.

That makes sense.

> I'll take a look at the DESCR of the packages if we decide to keep all
> three for now.

Thanks - in my view (PMC hat off) whenever there are multiple versions
the DESCR files should have advice.

> Though ... it is perhaps a little odd that the package in the gnumeric
> directory is the oldest of the three; perhaps it ought to instead be
> renamed into gnumeric18, and gnumeric112 should take its place?  A
> nudge to upgrade?

[This is not really all directed at you, but since you asked.]

Perhaps.  My view (again, PMC hat off), is that there are two kinds of
packages, those for which it is reasonable to have only one version in
pkgsrc, and those for which it is semi-necessary to have more than one
version, because of stability/etc. problems.   I tend to believe that
programs are persistently in one category or the other, due to the way
they are developed.

I also think renaming hurts, so I think packages with multiple verisons
should always have version suffixes and not get renamed all the time.
Of course, realizing that a package is unstable enough to merit
multiiple versions causes a transition from an unsuffixed version.

The real question for gnumeric is whether there is any reason to keep
the older ones, or just have 1.2.x?  gtk3 is normal enough that I'm not
sympathetic to the notion that we should carry gtk2 versions of things
to avoid it.

Another question is what the gnumeric people think.  If 1.8 and 1.10
aren't getting security updates, then absent some compelling reasons
they should probably be removed from pkgsrc.  It looks like 1.8 and 1.10
are 6.5 and 4 years old, respectively.

I'm building 1.12 and will see if it works on a spreadsheet I have used
1.8 with.  If so, I would support the notion of updating math/gnumeric
to be 1.12 and removing gnumeric112.

goffice may be similar, but since it's less user-facing, I would be
inclined to use the "always-versioned" approach for it.