Re: Moving pkgsrc-wip away from SourceForge

On Jul 14,  1:59pm, Andrew Cagney wrote:
} On 14 July 2015 at 12:40, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
} > On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:18:26 -0400
} > Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
} >
} >> I've, on multiple occasions found my day job being spent trying to
} >> disentangle the mess the developers made of their SVN repository.
} >> Specifically:
} >>
} >> - SVN is not atomic; the sequence "pull ; edit ; build ; push" offers
} >> no guarantee that the tree is left in a buildable state.
} >> While other DVCS will reject the push if the repo has changed, SVN
} >> does not - this is by design
} >
} > Not true.  If I try to commit a change and the file on the repo has
} > changed it won't let me.  It may be that other files in the repo have
} > changed but if I had to make sure that every file in my copy was up to
} > date before committing I could have a real problem on a large system
} > with lots of developers working on different parts of the tree.
}
} Two data points:
}
} - I prefer to know about interface changes that my break my build,
} before I do the push
} - it turned out that I wasn't alone, the incident of broken builds
} dropped measurably after a switch away from SVN - it was no longer
} possible to blame someone else
}
} I guess we agree to disagree on what 'atomic' means and how important it is.

     So if somebody makes an update to one of the several versions
of PostgreSQL while I'm making an update to one of the several
versions of MySQL, my push should fail?!?  That's a totally ridiculous
notion.

}-- End of excerpt from Andrew Cagney