Re: [changed subject to] pkgsrc in scientific computing

In case you missed it last time I mentioned it in a different thread, I developed a pkgsrc bootstrap wrapper called auto-pkgsrc-setup to facilitate creating and maintaining multiple independent trees, e.g. /sharedapps/pkg-1, /sharedapps/pkg-2, /sharedapps/pkg-2, etc.

    http://acadix.biz/pkgsrc.php

For selecting a tree, it generates startup scripts suitable for sourcing from other scripts or placement in /etc/profile.d as well as environment module files. To use /sharedapps/pkg-3, for example, a user simply would run on of the following in their [SLURM in our case] submit script.

source /sharedapps/pkg-3/etc/cshrc
module load /sharedapps/pkg-3/etc/modulefiles/pkgsrc/3

Auto-pkgsrc-setup also adds safety features, like wrapping bmake to verify that you're in the correct source tree.

On our HPC clusters, I simply bootstrap a whole new tree about every 6 to 12 months to make newer software versions available. Older trees are left in place so researchers can finish up projects using the same version of a package, but eventually deprecated.

I have a lot of scientific packages in wip and more coming, but too little time to devote to it. One of my colleagues here is learning to package and may join pkgsrc-wip soon. There's a lot of work to be done in categories like math and biology, though. Fortran support needs some work as well.

Regards,

    Jason