Re: Moving pkgsrc-wip away from SourceForge

On Sun, Jul 05, 2015 at 11:56:00AM +0200, Benny Siegert wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 11:19 AM, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:
> > Maybe, but I have experienced the opposite with other projects on github:
>
> > I provide a fix to an obvious problem as a context diff against the latest
> > snapshot with like four lines changed (and an explanation why it fixes
> > an obvious problem). To do this I have to learn about stupid formatting rules
> > in the joke of a bug tracker to make the patch at least readable in the
> > ticket I am filing.
>
> This is mostly a barrier when you are contributing something through
> this process for the first time. Next time you'll know :) Don't
> ragequit.
>
> If you had done a pull request in the first place, you would not have
> to worry about the formatting. You can do the pull request completely
> from the browser:
>
> 1. Click "Fork".
> 2. In your fork, select the file and click "edit".
> 3. Make your edit.
> 4. Enter a commit message.
> 5. Click "create pull request".
> 6. If you want, add more text. Done.
>
> Think of a pull request as a bug with an attached diff. Yes, the
> process is slightly different but it will save the maintainers from
> having to fiddle with patches manually. Also, it will run the tests on
> the branch.

I think, we should also factor in and distinguish between use cases of a
revision control system for a "packaging system" vs that for a "package".

Since a packaging system like pkgsrc would contain merely the packaging
spec as against the package itself that would contain the real software,
the nature of patch submissions, merges etc. is much simpler a use case.

I'd think, CVS is sufficient to deal with a package spec's revision
control. git may be arguably smarter with merges and all, which may also
help package's revision control, though IMHO it brings an unnecessary
complexity to a relatively simpler use case of package spec's revision
control.

Mayuresh.