Re: non-root package-building sandbox?

On Fri, 08 May 2015 09:46:24 +1000 Malcolm Herbert <mjch%mjch.net@localhost>
wrote:
> Would a VM help?  I use packer and ansible to build out VirtualBox VMs
> with netbsd in them, perhaps manually creating a vagrant style VM
> image would be useful - do that once, then re-use for successive
> builds, nuking it and restarting from a snapshot should be pretty
> easy ...

I'm not sure.  Right now my only personal computing device (i.e. not
counting tightly regulated Windows machines at work) is my laptop,
which runs NetBSD, and my main problem isn't so much building packages
in an isolated environment (pkg_comp does that) as a lack of good tools
for debugging/development of buggy packages within said isolated
environment.  A VM and a VNC session---with some scripts to recreate
automatically the shell profile settings, editors, etc. that I enjoy as
a normal user--- would probably be better than what I have now, but it
seems a little awkward, not to mention unnecessarily recursive.  But
if bootstrapping a pkgsrc tree as a regular user doesn't do what I want
I may well try one of the options you suggest.

Thanks to all for the ideas.

--
IDL