cdrecord and near-DVD-sized images?

I am putting some bits on DVD, and ran mkisofs from sysutils/cdrecord on
a netbsd-6 i386 machine.  The file was 4680359936 bytes, which is less
than the reported capacity of a single-layer DVD.  I was able to mount
this via vnconfig and read the files.  I ran cdrecord without incident.
Then, I was unable to even read from the disk using dd.  On a mac, I
could dd from it, but not mount the fs.  The file is still transferring,
but indications are I am reading back the file bit-for-bit.

Has anyone else had similar issues?