Re: Building of abiword 3.0 fails on 6.1.5/amd64

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-netbsd%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> Yesterday I did a lot of "patch work" using pkgvi. I ended up with
> many patches untouched (because there was no need for), anyway I got a
> lot of *.orig files. When compiling abiword-3, I got a lot of messages
> about ignoring the patch. If the patch is not necessary, is it not
> better do delete it (or rename it)?

You should remove the *.orig patch files.  If you have actually thought
about a patch and decided it should not be used in the new version,
certainly you should delete it.  I was only suggesting that starting
over, which implies removing all patches, would take longer or get a
worse result.

> Another crucial question: when reusing an old makefile, isn't there a
> risk to demand unnecessary dependencies, for example packages no
> longer needed?

Yes.  But when starting over, there's a risk to be missing a dependency
you need.

> For example:
>
> .include "../../converters/fribidi/buildlink3.mk"
> .include "../../converters/libiconv/buildlink3.mk"
> .include "../../converters/wv/buildlink3.mk"
> .include "../../devel/libgsf/buildlink3.mk"
> .include "../../devel/popt/buildlink3.mk"
> .include "../../mk/readline.buildlink3.mk"
> .include "../../mk/jpeg.buildlink3.mk"
> .include "../../graphics/librsvg/buildlink3.mk"
> .include "../../graphics/png/buildlink3.mk"
> .include "../../x11/gtk2/buildlink3.mk"
>
> How do I know if these are still needed?

1) Read upstream's README and see if it is listed.

2) Read the configure output to see if they are checked.

3) Run ldd and see if they are used.

4) Remove the one at a time and try to build.   With ccache, this won't
take so long.   If one seems to be not needed, search the build log for
mentions.

You might also read the install notes to see what they say about gtk3.