Re: Building of abiword 3.0 fails on 6.1.5/amd64

On 13 December 2014 at 06:16, David H. Gutteridge
<dhgutteridge%sympatico.ca@localhost> wrote:

> The fundamental problem is that you're trying to build AbiWord 3.0
> using pkgsrc patches for 2.8. The code base has changed substantially
> between these releases, and the existing package won't necessarily be
> something you can simply update a few lines in.
>
> In the case of the first patch, all those fixes have already been
> applied upstream, so it's no longer relevant for 3.0. If you want to
> build AbiWord 3.0, you may have to do a fair amount of work to get it
> into shape.

I've realized that. I was able to get around the patch problem using
pkgvi as suggested on this useful wiki page:
http://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/how_to_update_a_package_in_pkgsrc/

and then I was able to start the build of Abiword 3.0.0 and I had to
stop yesterday night because I was too tired.

However I wonder if it is probably better to start from scratch. I
don't see why we should have two package, one for Abiword and one for
the plugins. They usually come in one single package in other
distributions.

I could reuse the existing makefile.common and enable plugins, and
remove all existing patches. It might probably build, but I am not
sure if the final product would be acceptable for pkgsrc standards.