Building shared libraries under pkgsrc control in NetBSD 6.1

When I build a shared library using the BSD Makefile infrastructure, it will build libXXX.so.1.0 and create smylinks libXXX.so and libXXX.so.1.

When I let the same library build under control of a pkgsrc Makefile (to distribute it as a package), it does not create the .so and .so.1 symlinks.  Can that be changed via a variable in e.g. /etc/mk.conf, so that I get the symlink?

IIRC, pkgsrc created the symlinks in version before 2013-Q3 (or at least, before that release my packages used to build).

- Marc