Re: cairo build error (any2ppm.c:(.text+0x158): undefined reference to `cairo_image_surface_create')

Am Fri, 10 Oct 2014 18:27:06 +0100
schrieb Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost>:

> I forgot the beginning - why is it that you need to regenerate configure?
> (What's wrong with the one shipped with cairo?)

It unconditionally enables Link-Time-Optimization if the compiler
claims to support it. It is not always safe and for sure a rather pushy
default for everyday software. Cairo upstream removed this:

	http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2014-July/025374.html

The patch originally seems to come from the general direction of Gentoo
GNU/Linux.

I had troubles even with freshly installed binutils-2.24 and gcc-4.9.1,
though I have to wonder now if pkgsrc fooled me by reverting to the
system default binutils stuff for linking instead of the one in $PATH.
I have to check that closely, as I figured that i need to install the
toolchain together in one piece (as gcc build supports it) to avoid
funny situations like the compiler generating flashy instructions the
assembler cannot understand. I have my reasons to have the toolchain
(gcc+binutils, among other compilers) available indepently of pkgsrc.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis