Re: mail/mutt-kz build fails in configure phase on iconv "good enough" check

"J. Lewis Muir" <jlmuir%imca-cat.org@localhost> writes:

> checking iconv.h usability... yes
> checking iconv.h presence... yes
> checking for iconv.h... yes
> checking whether iconv.h defines iconv_t... yes
> checking whether this iconv is good enough... no
> configure: error: Try using libiconv instead
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> ===
>
> In looking at the configure.ac for this check, I see the following
> comment:
>
> ===
> dnl (1) Some implementations of iconv won't convert from UTF-8 to UTF-8.
> dnl (2) In glibc-2.1.2 and earlier there is a bug that messes up ob and
> dnl     obl when args 2 and 3 are 0 (fixed in glibc-2.1.3).
> ===

pkgsrc has wrappers and buildlink3, which tries to isolate the pkg build
environment to the expressed dependencies.  So you really have to debug
this within pkgsrc.   But you can do that by looking at config.log, or
if really desperate, by doing "bmake configure" and then adding "set -x"
at the beginning.   Probably you'll find that the cc invocation from
configure didn't work right for some reason that isn't really about
iconv.

Another question is if you are generally able to build things and if
this is the exception.  I'm guessing that's the case from how you
phrased the question, but I always like to check for higher-level
issues.