Re: How to perform a conservative package upgrade with pkgsrc?

On 11 Jul 2014 at 9:05, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

> On 10 July 2014 21:01, Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> wrote:

> >> What can we do to address this?  [...]
> >>  pbulk [...]
> >
> > There is also pkg_comp, which I found pretty easy to set up. Just needs
> > a lot of space.
>
> Sorry gentlemen, but why does it always have boil down to bulk builds
> and chroot? Why not for one moment think what is best for the end
> user? Not everybody has CPU and time to spare just to create bulk
> builds, just to have the latest firefox binary.

Hi

I build about 800 pkgs for my servers and 2000 for desktops.
I don't think full bulk builds are required but building
chroot is just safer and takes minimal extra time. Once a
build is finished with no conflicts I use pkg_chk to install
from binaries in /usr/pkg_tarup.

If you want to download and install binaries use pkgin.

Either way your stuck with a choice of using a stable branch
or the current branch. I use the latest stable branch and a
few pkgs built in /usr/local.

I'd not expect any support if you want to mix branches.

> Either you guys fix the problem binary-wise, that is, you can offer
> fresher binaries on the pkgsrc ftp site (and at the moment it's been
> almost a month with no fresh binaries) or you try to integrate pkgsrc
> installation from source with pkgin.

The release cycle for stable branches is quarterly! If you
need more recent binaries you should use the current branch.

David