Re: How to perform a conservative package upgrade with pkgsrc?

On 10 July 2014 21:01, Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> wrote:
> On Thu 10 Jul 2014 at 15:52:35 +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
>> * On 2014-07-10 at 14:21 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> > Assuming you aren't going to set up bulk builds (a reasonable call; it's
>> > not trivial)
>>
>> What can we do to address this?  [...]
>>  pbulk [...]
>
> There is also pkg_comp, which I found pretty easy to set up. Just needs
> a lot of space.

Sorry gentlemen, but why does it always have boil down to bulk builds
and chroot? Why not for one moment think what is best for the end
user? Not everybody has CPU and time to spare just to create bulk
builds, just to have the latest firefox binary.

Either you guys fix the problem binary-wise, that is, you can offer
fresher binaries on the pkgsrc ftp site (and at the moment it's been
almost a month with no fresh binaries) or you try to integrate pkgsrc
installation from source with pkgin.

There you have it, pkgin, a great tool to keep track of binary
packages. Not much mention of it on these mailing lists. Why not
improve it and integrate it to the point of automating installation
from source?

Sorry for the rant but I needed to get it off my chest.

--
Ottavio