Mac OS X Mavericks has no gnutar

Hello,

   I upgraded to Mac OS X Mavericks, XCode 5 and the associated command
line tools, and now I'm seeing:

[---]
===> Extracting for openssl-1.0.1enb2
/Users/jan/pkgsrc/mk/extract/extract: line 282: /usr/bin/gnutar: No such
file or directory
*** Error code 1

   There's no gnutar (nor is there a gtar) on this system, so the error
is not too surprising. /usr/bin/tar exists, and is (according to the man
page) "bsdtar".

   I know too little about the differences between "gnutar" and "bsdtar"
to know why it would be important to use gnutar rather than bsdtar, but
I modified mk/tools/tools.Darwin.mk and simply changed /usr/bin/gnutar
to /usr/bin/tar and I at least got openssl built.

   I notice that the same file has:

.if exists(/usr/bin/bsdtar)
TOOLS_PLATFORM.bsdtar?=         /usr/bin/bsdtar
.endif

   Should there be the same condition for gnutar?

   /Jan