Strange firefox behaviour

I recently upgraded all of my 300+ packages to pkgsrc-2012Q3, and I'm seeing some very wierd stuff in firefox. It would be nice to know if anyone else has seen anything similar - even nicer if there is a known cure!

The worst problem is:

At unpredictable times, some of the hyperlinks' text will suddenly be displayed as a solid rectangular area, rather than as text. Usually, the entire text block is affected, but sometimes it affects only the upper or lower portion. And usually the solid color is black, but I have seen shades of gray and blue.

The changes usually occur when the mouse is moving, and faster motion is more likely to trigger the problem. But sometimes no motion at all is needed, and sometimes the area actually "blinks" between the correct and abnormal displays.

A second problem, of lower priority, is that pine no longer seems to be able to send a "display this link" message to firefox. The error message

        http: Event not found.

is generated instead.

Here's what I have installed:

        # pkg_info -Nn firefox