Re: binary for mplayer on ftp://

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 23:34:18 +0900, Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov%tut.by@localhost>
wrote:

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost>
wrote:
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM, OBATA Akio <obache%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
And internal libcvdcss will not be used to build (unless
--enable-libdvdcss-internal),
then it is not a reason to restrict binary packages.

Any other comments?

Yes. Even without DVD encryption support, a large part of the codecs
are covered by patents. Distributing mplayer binaries is a legal
minefield.

--Benny.

Debian Linux somehow distributes mplayer, probably limited.
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/mplayer/

Can we do the same?

JFYI
http://people.debian.org/~mjr/legal/mplayer.html

"large part of the codecs" provide no useful information.
AAC? , from audio/faad2 package and we can disabled by default.
MPEG?, from audio/lame and it is used by mplayer/mencoder package,
       no reason to restrict mplayer package.
codecs from ffmpeg? we can switch to use multimedia/ffmpeg,
       and multimedia/ffmpeg package is not restricted.
...?

--
OBATA Akio / obache%NetBSD.org@localhost