Re: Binary packages (again)

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Luca Sironi <luca%sironi.tk@localhost> wrote:
> 2012/6/5 Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov%tut.by@localhost>:
>>> Shouldn't be as simple as doing pkg_add 'package' in order to have
>>> 'package' fetched and installed?
>>
>> Do you mean without setting PKG_PATH variable?
>
> Is there a reason for this environment variable not being setted as default?
> opsys/arch/version are almost constant in one system.

FreeBSD's pkg_add has option -r for this purpose.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pkg_add&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+9.0-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html

As for me, this is reasonable, but tech-pkg@ is a better place for
this discussion.

> As for the third number on the release version
> Panoramix2# pkg_add ettercap-NG
> pkg_add: Warning: package `ettercap-NG-0.7.3nb5' was built for a platform:
> pkg_add: NetBSD/i386 5.1 (pkg) vs. NetBSD/i386 5.1.2 (this host)
> I guess these warnings are useless, right?

Yes. You are right.
Such warnings should definitely be fixed.
The real fix is system-dependent, though.
On Linux, for example, kernel version doesn't matter at all.

> A message like ettercap-NG installed with a green ansi colour [ok]
> will be enough and have a better psychological effect.

Colors by default? No.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2012/05/12/msg010636.html