Re: Proposed obsolete cripple-ware to cut from pkgsrc (was Re: Demos? Really? These have to go.)

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 08:20:11PM +0200, John Marino wrote:
 > The following are packages with the word "demo" in them that refer
 > to obsolete trial software:
 >
 > Loki games demos
 > Loki went out of business in 2001.
 > The MASTER_SITES are invalid, the FTP sites listed on Loki website
 > are down.  If one looks really hard at the resellers list, they'll
 > find some that are still open.  I found one that still sells the
 > software.
 > It's safe to call them "unsupported"
 >
 > * games/eus-demo         : Eric's Ultimate Solitaire
 > * games/civctp-demo      : Civilization: Call to Power
 > * games/heretic2-demo    : Heretic2
 > * games/quake3arena-demo : Quake III Arena
 >
 > Special Mention:
 >
 > * games/majesty-demo

It is often the case that the "demo" version of the game has all the
code, just not the levels/data/maps/whatnot, so from a packaging
standpoint the difference between the "demo" and the full version is
minimal. In that case a package for the demo will let people who own
the full version run the full version.

Do you know if tihs is the case for these games?

I realize you think that any package where you can't walk in off the
street, download it, and install it is useless, but not everyone
agrees with you.

 > Softmaker Office Demo
 >
 > * misc/softmaker-office-demo
 > * licenses/softmaker-office-demo-license
 >
 > This is a demo of 6-year software that is no longer for sale.
 > Softmaker is selling the 2012 version now.
 > It only works for 30 days.

If the software still exists, then the package just needs updating.
If nobody wants to update it, then it should be removed, but that's a
different proposition from it being a "demo".

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost