SOLVED: Anyone have firefox working on i386?

Many, many hours of investigation later, I have firefox (8 from
the pkgsrc binary distribution) running.

If the stacksize limit in the invoking shell is 8188 kbytes or
smaller, it works fine.  As soon as the stacksize limit is 8189
kbytes or greater, it quietly fails to open its main window.

I have absolutely no idea why this would be the case; I'm not even
sure where to report this bug, which presumably is with firefox.

However, my immediate problem is solved.  Since I fire up firefox
from a shell script anyway, I simply added "ulimit -s 8188" at the
top, and finally, finally, FINALLY I can use a modern firefox!!!
The sound you hear is either choirs of angels or me cracking up.
Take your pick.

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, as a private citizen:  anne%porcupine.montreal.qc.ca@localhost