Re: The latest packages

Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov%tut.by@localhost> responds to my questions:

>> (1) why doesn't the symlink 5.0 point to the 2011Q4 version
>> yet, and (2) why is there not 2011Q4 for 5.1?
>
> This is a well known issue discussed several times in different places.

You are right, and I think this has even been explained to me before
a few months ago with respect to different versions.  I apologize for
forgetting and asking again, but I would humbly point out that until
this information is available where people look for information about
using pkgsrc, this will continue to come up.

One place a note could be inserted might be "The pkgsrc guide",
section 4.1.1. "Finding binary packages".

However the place that would have helped me most is in the right
sidebar of
   http://www.netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html
where we have "Latest stable branch: pkgsrc-2011Q4"; perhaps a link
to another page that recommends versions of binaries to use for
various situations could be put there?  That way, non-pkgsrc-gurus
like me might be saved a lot of confusion and frustration.

> The problem is that noone runs bulk builds for 5.1/i386/2011Q4.
> Solution: binaries for 5.0/i386/2011Q4 + 5.0_branchindep/All/compat50-5.1.tgz

Okay, I am implementing that now.  It would be helpful to have
compat50-5.1 in pkgsrc, but I did find and download the above
tarball.  Comparing it against my current system revealed only
one difference, so I replaced my /usr/X11R7/lib/libpixman-1.so.0.12.0
and am hoping for the best.

I will now start upgrading my packages.

Anne.
--