building rrdtool with ruby bindings

We're trying to build rrdtool in pkgsrc but with Ruby bindings.
The pkgsrc configuration only builds the Perl bindings.

There do not seem to be any options to the build:

   $ make show-options
   This package does not use the options framework.

We're also having trouble with the buildlink3 search path stuff.
When we build rrdtool without pkgsrc, it finds the include
files needed (such as the local Ruby installation, which is
not built with pkgsrc), but when building it through pkgsrc
we see it looking for paths like this:

  /usr/pkgsrc/databases/rrdtool/work/.buildlink/include

And we can't get the build to find ruby.h.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,

        -- Ed