Re: Is it a must to keep kernel up-to-date for -current pkgsrc user?

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 12:54:13PM +0100, Matthias Rampke wrote:
> Regarding your last question: If you are continuously upgrading
> NetBSD-current from source, no "large" binary updates are required. The same
> goes for pkgsrc-current. Some people call this a "rolling upgrade" procedure,
> as you roll along with the progress of the respective -current branches and
> never jump from one version to the next. But as said above, this is true
> _separately_ for both. It is very likely though that, should you choose to
> only use rolling upgrades for pkgsrc, you need to re-build all your packages
> when upgrading the base system.
>

> I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks. This largely clarifies the doubts.

One thing I want to clarify on this thread: Most responses assumed that I
am mixing pkgsrc with base. Actually not. This separation is what I have
been reading/hearing about before entering the *BSD world. So kind of
aware of it. Probably such impression is caused by a faulty mail subject
I might have chosen.

My question originated from a warning on the page I cited. My
interpretation of the cited page was, the packages may make use of system
calls that only a certain version of the kernel may support. So one needs
to manage such dependency. This may or may not be managed by pkgsrc. May
be it is advised totally outside the system, through list of
pre-requisites etc.

Regarding rolling updates, your mail precisely answers my question.

Mayuresh.