Updating devel/fossil, or how to use autosetup?

Hi,

as having problems with devel/fossil (I sent the errors upstream), I tried
updating it. Currently, there's 1.18 in pkgsrc, the newest version is 1.20.
With 1.19, they changed to use an autoconfig framework called autosetup:
  http://fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/changes.wiki

Anyway, setting GNU_CONFIGURE and some options for the script (or not) didn't
work:
  Host System...sparc64--netbsd
  Build System...sparc64--netbsd
  Error: Failed to find sparc64--netbsd-ld

So... how to use autosetup with pkgsrc? I'm absolutely not good in using
autosetup anyway, so having somebody else updating that package and somehow
documenting the work would be nice.

Regards, Julian