how to create a package installing into a separate directory?

Hello,

I'm new to this list so please forgive my ignorance.

I am a long time FreeBSD & Linux user. At work I manage
many our and customers' Linux boxes which are difficult
or impossible to unify in one distro and version. I need
to install various programs - some are in distros'
repositories ready to use, some are outdated, some not
at all. I the bad cases I install the programs from
sources and that opens another class of problems.

A few weeks ago I started to tinker with pkgsrc if it
can help me. It looks promising however some questions
arise.

My current trouble is to make a new package to install
in its own subdirectory under $LOCALBASE. Using the
pkgsrc developer's guide I created a new package (it went
smooth, thanks!). It installs its files in $LOCALBASE/bin,
$LOCALBASE/lib etc. However I need the program in various
versions in parallel - the same way lang/gcc?? do:
  $LOCALBASE/mypkgAB/{bin,lib,...}
  $LOCALBASE/mypkgCD/{bin,lib,...}
Unfortunately gcc Makefiles are too advanced to me to
learn the trick.

Can you give me some advice?

Thanks in advance
norc