Re: Migrating ports from XFree86 to Xorg (Was: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms)

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:26:56 -0400
Michael <macallan1888%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> > Question: Does XOrg's wsfb expect the mapped frame buffer to have the
> > same resolution as the wsdisplay console had before?
>
> It doesn't know or care what the console looks like.
> All it knows is what information it gets via ioctl(WSDISPLAYIO_GINFO), it
> has to be valid while the wsdisplay driver is in .

I'm happy to read that. Currently I see nothing which prevents us
from implementing wsdisplay and using XOrg's wsfb.

Although grfconfig(8) allows to define up to 24 different screen modes,
I think we should just use mode #1 or the first valid one, when setting
WSDISPLAYIO_MODE_MAPPED. Current X11 drivers allow to select any mode.

--
Frank Wille