Re: Migrating ports from XFree86 to Xorg (Was: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:34:40 +0100
David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Given the quantity of amiga grf drivers it may well make more sense to
> port the X drivers across from XFree86 to xorg, at least for the near
> to medium term.

That would be desirable, but the original driver authors are gone. The
structure of Xorg seems completely different. I fear it requires a lot
of X-experience to perform this task.

BTW, does a normal Xorg driver require a wscons/wsdisplay, or can it be
started completely independant of the console (ite, wscons, or whatever) ?

I would prefer to have wsdisplay drivers for all seven Amiga graphics
cards first. This is even something I would be capable doing, or at least
helping with, in constrast to an Xorg driver...

> I suspect that once you have the PCI subsystem
> complete and running graphics cards (excellent project btw :), those
> cards would be supported under wscons and that may pull amiga towards
> more wsdisplay usage...

The problem is that those boards, which add PCI slots to a classic Amiga,
are very rare. Less than 1% of Amiga users own one.

A typical NetBSD/amiga user will have a special Amiga graphics card
(usually CirrusLogic or S3 based) in a Zorro3 slot.

--
Frank Wille