Re: Migrating ports from XFree86 to Xorg (Was: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms)

Hello,

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:37:55 +0200
Radoslaw Kujawa <radoslaw.kujawa%c0ff33.net@localhost> wrote:

> > I don't see how we can use wsfb, though. The genfb driver does not support
> > the graphics card's text mode,
>
> It's not really a text mode in VGA/x86 sense of this word. Current grf
> drivers set up some graphics mode, on which terminal is emulated (ite) using
> 2D accelerated drawing routines. Similarly, terminal emulator is attached on
> top of wsdisplay driver (genfb in this case). The whole point is that genfb
> will be slower, because it does not know about specific capabilities of the
> used graphics hardware (blitter etc.). So I don't really like this solution.

No need to use genfb at all if you can attach a wsdisplay directly to grf.
As far as I can tell grf already gives you a reasonable abstraction which - as
a stopgap measure - can easily be translated to wsdisplayops in a more or less
generic way. That would allow wsdisplay to use whatever acceleration
capabilities ite uses.
Also, wsdisplay with vcons is likely a lot faster than ite on dumb framebuffers.

have fun
Michael