Re: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms (Was: What platforms work with X11_TYPE=native)

On 17 September 2011 11:26, Thomas Mueller
<mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost> wrote:
> I read this discussion on native vs. modular X11_TYPE and am confused.
>
> Supposing I download NetBSD 5.1_STABLE (netbsd-5 branch) or HEAD from
> nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/, which X do I get?  It is installed in
> /usr/X11R7; /usr/X11R6 subdirectories are all empty.
>
> I could download either binary, in the case of netbsd-5, or source sets.  I
> want to know if I should skip xsrc.tgz in favor of pkgsrc X, would I get
> something different on i386 or amd64?
>
> On my new computer, I've been unable to get to anything graphic in NetBSD,
> and was never successful in booting NetBSD HEAD on the hard drive, or even on
> a USB stick.
>
> Only NetBSD installation I still have for amd64 is on a 16 GB USB stick,
> 5.1_STABLE.  Source was on the hard drive, but that was repartitioned out,
> and FreeBSD 9.0 BETA2 now occupies that space, where I also had NetBSD HEAD.
>
> Hard drive is partitioned GPT.

- modular vs native X11_TYPE determines which set of libraries &
depends an X app will use when built from pkgsrc
- NetBSD-5 and later use X11R7, so will remain defaulting to X11_TYPE native
- If you set modular (either by hand or because on an older system),
you can choose to build the entire X system from pkgsrc, and use it
instead of native X, just build additional apps (and their
dependencies) from pkgsrc, or anything in between. One option not
available is to build some X apps using native libs and others using
modular
- If you have issues with using native X on NetBSD-5 i386 or amd64 you
can ask for help on the list or try X11_TYPE modular and build the
entire X system from pkgsrc (probably in that order :)