Re: glib2 on NetBSD/i386 3.0 using pkgsrc-2011Q1

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Matthias Rampke <matthias%rampke.de@localhost>
wrote:

>> ... because Dragonfly is very close to NetBSD?
>
> Maybe … but mostly because most of the software is pretty portable to begin
> with.

A lot of it is because of plain ordinary work, especially the initial
work from Joerg Sonnenberger, to make more packages build on
DragonFly.  The build success rate for the last few quarterly pkgsrc
releases has been very high - higher than it was historically, if my
casual memory serves me.

I've been using pbulk on DragonFly and mailing results to the
pkgsrc-bulk%netbsd.org@localhost mailing list.  It's been very effective in
identifying problems and, even better, which package breaking has the
most effect.  I don't think there's necessarily a need to tell
committers to use already-scarce time to test their software on new
platforms.  Coming from the viewpoint that the only useful test builds
are ones that break, if we have regular automated bulk builds with
results, the maintainers can find out about where their package fails
without having to take time to test.

The short version: more people doing bulk builds on whatever platform
they have handy is possibly the most results for least commitment in
this case.