Error in audio/speex/options.mk

I got an error message from an erroneous configure argument in audio/speex
which I was building as a dependency to emulators/dosbox:

configure: error: Unknown FFT fftw3 specified for --with-fft
See `config.log' for more details.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/audio/speex
WARNING: *** Please consider adding c++ to USE_LANGUAGES in the package
Makefile.
WARNING: *** Please consider adding fortran to USE_LANGUAGES in the package
Makefile.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/audio/speex
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/audio/SDL_sound
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/emulators/dosbox

I pinpointed this error by running

work51/speex-1.2rc1/configure --help

from within /usr/pkgsrc/audio/speex

Relevant excerpt is

Optional Packages:
  --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
  --without-PACKAGE       do not use PACKAGE (same as --with-PACKAGE=no)
  --with-gnu-ld           assume the C compiler uses GNU ld [default=no]
  --with-pic              try to use only PIC/non-PIC objects [default=use
                          both]
  --with-tags[=TAGS]      include additional configurations [automatic]
  --with-ogg=PFX   Prefix where libogg is installed (optional)
  --with-ogg-libraries=DIR   Directory where libogg library is installed
(optional)
  --with-ogg-includes=DIR   Directory where libogg header files are installed
(optional)
  --with-fft=choice       use an alternate FFT implementation. The available
                          choices are kiss (default fixed point), smallft
                          (default floating point), gpl-fftw3 and
                          proprietary-intel-mkl

(end of excerpt)

Choice for "--with-fft=" can not be fftw3, apparently this is the default and
is omitted when fftw3 is desired.

I surmounted this hurdle by putting # in front of

CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --with-fft=fftw3

in options mk, and options.mk with my little patch is

# $NetBSD: options.mk,v 1.1 2008/11/08 21:12:16 bjs Exp $
#

PKG_OPTIONS_VAR=        PKG_OPTIONS.speex
PKG_SUPPORTED_OPTIONS=  fftw
PKG_OPTIONS_GROUP.i386= simd
###
### XXX TODO: add logic for enabling arm, fixed point, and alternate fft
###     implementations, etc.
###
.include "../../mk/bsd.fast.prefs.mk"

.if defined(PKG_OPTIONS_GROUP.${MACHINE_GNU_ARCH})
PKG_OPTIONS_OPTIONAL_GROUPS+=   ${MACHINE_GNU_ARCH}
.endif

.include "../../mk/bsd.options.mk"
###
### XXX The configure script seems to detect sse based upon user-supplied
###     CFLAGS.  If this is indeed OK, then we should not explicitly
###     disable it, as people might be using devel/cpuflags, etc.
###
.if !empty(PKG_OPTIONS:Msimd)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --enable-sse
#.else
#CONFIGURE_ARGS+=       --disable-sse
.endif

.if !empty(PKG_OPTIONS:Mfftw)
#CONFIGURE_ARGS+=       --with-fft=fftw3
.  include "../../math/fftw/buildlink3.mk"
.endif

(end)
I was then able to resume building dosbox until I reached hurdle 2, which was,
from a different thread,

 Subject: net/mDNSResponder is broken under NetBSD

That was another dependency, and it was fortuitous from my point of view that
somebody got the same snag with mDNSResponder that I got.

Now I guess I wait for that to be fixed?

But I have plenty else to work on while I wait.

I have been building some packages outside Slackware on my Linux system, so
I've become very familiar with "configure --help".

Tom