Problem compiling gtexinfo on Interix 6.1 (64 bit)

I don't know the first thing about programming, so I'm probably missing something obvious--apologies in advance.

Iâm trying to use pkgsrc on Windows 7/Interix 6.1 64-bit (amd64). Since I'm a stable kind of guy, I downloaded the 2010Q4 tarball and started the pkgsrc bootstrap, which failed with

ar: Either the AR_LIBRARIAN environment variable must be set
ar: or you must include the directory containing 'lib.exe' in PATH

I found a couple of threads from this list from 2009 which suggested that the issue was due to some 32 vs 64 bit stuff and configure not correctly figuring out which ar to use. Following something else I found online, I set AR=/opt/gcc.3.3/bin/ar and that let the bootstrap complete. I then tried to install devel/scmcvs--which worked fine until the dependencies got to devel/gtexinfo, which failed with the same error as the bootstrap did initially. I made sure AR was still set, did a bmake clean-depends in devel/scmcvs, and tried again with no joy. Setting AR in /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf had no luck either.

So I downloaded the current tarball, re-boostrapped, and tried again. Same thing. I found a bug report that was closed February 6, 2011, in which devel/gtexinfo failed to link on Interix 6.1, so I cvs up'd to the latest as of today and tried again. Still the same error.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? I'm under the impression that lots of packages depend on texinfo, so I think I need to fix this before I go any further. As I said, I'm no programmer, but I'll be glad to test anything sent me.