Re: python3 for NetBSD/pkgsrc

On Nov 15, 2010, at 22:12 , Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 09:58:44PM -0500, Chris Ross wrote:
>>
>>  I was surprised to see, on recent investigation of pkgsrc, that there
>> doesn't seem to be a python any newer than 2.6.x.  Since 2.7 and 3.1 have
>> been out for many months, and 3.0 well before that, I was curious if I was
>> missing something.  Is there a python3 somewhere else in the pkgsrc tree, or
>> a reason that it isn't?
>
> Someone packaging 2.7 would be good.
>
> Python 3, maybe not such a good idea to have packaged, it simply breaks
> too many things.

  So, it looks like python3 (and 27) still exist only in pkgsrc-wip.  In
addition to the fact that I still think python3 should be made more easily
available, although as mentioned it should probabaly not be installed as
"python", it was noted that 27 should be pulled up into pkgsrc.  I don't think
I have the knowledge or ability to package things up, but I still have an
interest.  If I'm incorrect, and there's something I can do to facilitate it,
let me know.  I'm happy to do some legwork.

  Jeremy, did you commit the patch you had mentioned for python 3.1?  (I
haven't examined -wip yet, though I think I will need to, as I don't want to
get into installing python for myself by installing 2.6, or 2.x at all.  Just
as someone who's starting to learn and use it, I'd rather start with 3.  Since
I'm not installing it to run existing code.  :-) )

           - Chris