Re: doscmd status?

On Dec 27, 2010, at 6:11 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> Yes, but DOSBox is effectively doing a runtime interpretation of the x86
> real mode. It is still going to be slower / more resource wasting than
> qemu's dynamic translation (if the code behaves responanable) and you
> get full support for protected mode for free.

While I don't actually know anything about the implementation details, my
understanding was that DOSBox's "core=dynamic" option
<http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Configuration:CPU#core_.3D_simple_.7C_normal.7C_dynamic_.7C_auto>
 used the same "dynamic translation"  that you're talking about.

"dynamic The program instructions are, in blocks, translated to host processor
instructions that execute directly. See also
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-in-time_compilation>. In the most cases this
approach is more efficent than interpretation, except for programs that employ
massive self-modifying code. This option is not present on all host platforms."
INet: khym%azeotrope.org@localhost |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 34 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++