Re: JVM checks in pkgsrc

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 09:29:05PM +0900, OBATA Akio wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 18:41:12 +0900, Francois Tigeot
> <ftigeot%wolfpond.org@localhost>
> wrote:
>
> > _ONLY_FOR_PLATFORMS.jdk15= \
> >-       DragonFly-*-i386 \
> >-       NetBSD-[2-9].*-i386
> >+       DragonFly-*-* \
> >+       NetBSD-[2-9].*-*
>
> I feel it's only for i386 and x86_64, not for all ARCH.

It was a quick-and-dirty local patch, I didn't take time to write proper
tests.
Howewer, even though jdk15 was only tested on i386 and amd64/x86_64, I
don't believe there's a reason it shouldn't work on other architectures.
There's code for sparc and ia64 in the distfiles.

The same is true for the DragonFly and NetBSD checks: at least  OpenBSD,
FreeBSD, Linux and Solaris have some operational version of jdk15.
If wip/jdk15 doesn't build on one of these platforms, shouldn't it be
considered as a bug and fixed accordingly ?

> >These checks are already made in the individual pkgsrc entries. Why are
> >they also in java-vm.mk ?
>
> Because need to determine what Java package should be used before installing
> packages depend on Java.

Couldn't it be determined without forcing the use of a specific operating
system and machine architecture ?

--
Francois Tigeot