Re: How to install and find things in nonstandard locations?

  I asked some time ago about the possibility of building experimental
  versions of packages, such as Seamonkey 2.1 alpha or beta, and
  installing to a nonstandard location such as /usr/local2 or
  /usr/testing.  Then I could run such a package by spawning a subshell
  with /usr/local2/bin and /usr/local2/sbin at the start of the PATH,

Check out the guile14 package for an example of not exactly what you
want.