Re: databases/p5-gdbm "Review"

2010/8/29 Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>:

> Jens Rehsack <rehsack%googlemail.com@localhost> writes:

>>> I see your point, but I don't think this is really about pkg_rr.
>>> Basically pkgsrc does not support the concept of interaction by a human
>>> with the build system of something in a pkg.  pkg_comp and 'make
>>> package-install' with dependencies both have the same problem as you are
>>> running into, so doing something to pkg_rr isn't the right answer.
>>
>> It depends. When it's wanted that packagers stumble over those
>> questions by a module, they shouldn't test in BATCH_MODE.
>> I think, enabling pkg_rr to use an .pkg_rr.rc from users home (or
>> $prefix/pkg_rr.rc), would be enough, because it already supports
>> pass-though -D flag.
>
> What I don't understand is why pkg_rr should be special.  I think there
> are two classes of cases:

It shouldn't - it should behave like any other batch build process.

> 1) interactive questions are bad:
>
>  pkg_comp
>  pkg_rr
pbulk
>  package being built as a dependency
>  normal user building a package
>  pkg_developer building a package to see if it is ok
>
> 2) interactive questions wanted
>
>  special mode for pkg_developer to make sure the non-interactive build
>  is doing the right thing
>
> So I think it's a mistake to have BATCH_MODE, because it makes it appear
> that batch mode is special - but it's the normal case.  Rather, we
> should have a PKG_ALLOW_INTERACTIVE mode.

I fully agree. But I'd like to extend to a thought I have since I switched
from FreeBSD ports:
$ make config
This displays a dialog based config dialog where all tunables of the
package could be turned on/off (also supports radio buttons and
text fields). 'make depends-config' does 'make config' it for all
dependencies.

In FreeBSD ports, BATCH_MODE turnes of PKG_ALLOW_INTERACTIVE.
When PKG_ALLOW_INTERACTIVE is true, "config" is in the build chain
between "fetch" and "extract".

I liked the basic idea and would love to see a smiliar feature in pkgsrc
one day. But with your suggestion, it would be slightly more difficult.
But I'm sure you have a good answer for me.

Best regards,
Jens