How to skip 'make package' during a package installation?

Hi, all.
When I try to install a package, I find that the pkgsrc will
force me to 'make package' automatically. Because I do not need to
make a package always, I intend to skip this manually.
I find that if I added '_USE_DESTDIR=yes' when I type 'make install' will
accomplish this. But maybe it is not a proper way.
Is there any 'correct' method to do that?

Another question: what's the different between 'make package-clean' and
'make package-remove'?
I see such comment in mk/package/bsd.package.mk -
[...]
### package-clean removes the binary package that has been created
### by the "package" phase.
### Also remove the cookie, so that the "package" target can be
### invoked again.
###
.PHONY: package-clean
package-clean: package-eat-cookie
        ${RUN} ${RM} -f ${PKGFILE}
[...]
and in mk/flavor/pkg/package.mk -
[...]
### package-remove removes the binary package from the package
### repository.
###
.PHONY: package-remove
package-remove:
        ${RUN} ${RM} -f ${PKGFILE}
[...]

It seems that they do the same thing. However, both of them just remove
the 'real' file under All subdir and do not remove the symlink under the
category subdir.

-rxg