Re: pkg_rolling-replace infinite loop?

Ian D. Leroux <idleroux%fastmail.fm@localhost> writes:

> For the last twelve hours or so pkg_rolling-replace -u has been
> rebuilding and reinstalling wl-snapshot over and over again (after
> successfully updating most of the other packages on my system).  The
> installation seems to complete successfully every time, and then
> pkg_rr just selects wl-snapshot as the next package to update, again.
>
> I've checked that /var/db/pkg/wl-2.15.6.20090322nb1 contains no
> +INSTALLED_INFO file and no mention of the word unsafe or UNSAFE, so I
> don't think it's being marked unsafe_depends, and of course
> pkg_chk -uq doesn't report it as being out of date (after all, it's
> been updated a few dozen times by now).
>
> I updated my pkgsrc tree from cvs again this morning (so somewhere
> around noon GMT) and restarted pkg_rr, the behaviour is the same.
>
> This is all on NetBSD/amd64 5.0.2
>
> Any ideas on where I should start looking for an explanation?

pkg_rr builds a dependency list that gets tsorted, and rarely something
happens that causes that list to get messed up, resulting in an infinite
loop.  If you want to debug it, I suggest adding 'set -x' to pkg_rr and
running again, saving the output.

A few things to check:

  Do you have any packages with spaces in their names?

  Does 'pkg_admin check' report any issues?

  are there any stale/wrong +REQUIRED_BY files?  You might copy
  /var/db/pkg and run "pkg_admin rebuild-tree" and see if anything changes.