Re: strange problem with java applets in firefox on NetBSD 5 STABLE

On Wed, 19 May 2010 22:02:54 +1200
Mark Davies <mark%ecs.vuw.ac.nz@localhost> wrote:

> On Wednesday 19 May 2010 21:39:20 Tobias Nygren wrote:
> > It is a problem with accessing the default font file.
> > It can be fixed by editing the local security policy in
> > /usr/pkg/java/openjdk7/jre/lib/security/java.policy
> >
> > Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I had to put in there
> > to make it work. (The plugin package is still very much experimental)
>
> Because you don't currently have a version of the file that works? or you
> have a file and it has a whole bunch of other stuff not relevant and you
> dont remember which bit is relevant?  If the later send me a copy of your
> file and I'll try and work it out.

This hack makes plugins start and show graphics but text doesn't render
properly. Probably the openjdk7 code should be changed somewhere to
reference DejaVuSans.ttf directly.

mkdir usr/pkg/java/openjdk7/jre/lib/fonts
cp /usr/pkg/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/DejaVuSans.ttf
/usr/pkg/java/openjdk7/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaSansRegular.ttf

Add the following lines to java.policy:

grant {
  permission java.io.FilePermission
    "/usr/pkg/java/openjdk7/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaSansRegular.ttf",
    "read";
  permission java.util.PropertyPermission "sun.java2d.debugfonts",
"read"; };

Might be further debuggable by setting sun.java2d.debugfonts to
true.

-Tobias