Re: sane is driving me insane ("ignoring libusb devices")

  I can't get "sane" (sane-backends-1.0.20nb3 from pkgsrc, on
  NetBSD-50.1) to see my scanner (HP PSC 1500).  The kernel
  sees it as a printer (which it is, of course):

    ulpt0 at uhub2 port 1 configuration 1 interface 1
    ulpt0: HP PSC 1500 series, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 7/1
    ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

I don't know how multi-function devices are supposed to work, but I
suspect there is some scheme where there are pairs of pipes for
printing, scanning, and maybe something else.  Probably there needs to
be kernel support to attach the scanner pipes to a ugen so that sane can
work, but I don't understand this.  It seems that's what hplip does:

  http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/hplip_readme.html

Probably reading/porting the hplip driver is the way to go.
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-PSC_1500