Re: perl and utf8

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:14:04 +0900, Anne Bennett
<anne%porcupine.montreal.qc.ca@localhost> wrote:

I reported that Perl complained once I changed to a utf8 locale:

    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
            LC_ALL = (unset),
            LC_CTYPE = "en_CA.UTF-8",
            LC_COLLATE = "C",
            LANG = "en_CA.UTF-8"

My locale settings are:

  LANG="en_CA.UTF-8"
  LC_CTYPE="en_CA.UTF-8"
  LC_COLLATE="C"
  LC_TIME="C"
  LC_NUMERIC="C"
  LC_MONETARY="C"
  LC_MESSAGES="en_CA.UTF-8"
  LC_ALL=""

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, OBATA Akio suggested:

Just workaround:
exactly set LC_COLLATE=C LC_NUMERIC=C or PERL_BADLANG=0.

As you can see above, "LC_COLLATE=C LC_NUMERIC=C" were already the
case.  PERL_BADLANG just sweeps the problem under the carpet.

I felt that your "My locale settings" are just result of "locale",
not exactly set COLLATE and LC_NUMERIC to "C".

This matter is FFFFFFFFFFFAQ, and not a pkgsrc problem.
If you think this issue is problem for you:
 * request to Perl developers to change such behavior.
 or
 * request to NetBSD developers to implement LC_COLLATE and UTF-8 locales.

--
"Of course I love NetBSD":-)
OBATA Akio / obache%NetBSD.org@localhost