Printing with hpijs + magicfilter

Is anyone successfully using print/magicfilter to invoke ghostscript with -sDEVICE=ijs ?

I've created my DeskJet_6940 filter with the following line (manually wrapped for E-mail)

        0 %! filter /usr/bin/env TEMP=${TMPDIR:-/tmp} /usr/pkg/bin/gs \
        -q -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=ijs \
        -sIjsServer=hpijs -sDeviceManufacturer="HP" \
        -sDeviceModel="DeskJet_6940" -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=612 \
        -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=792 -dDuplex=false -r300 \
        -sIjsParams=Quality:Quality=0,Quality:ColorMode=2,Quality:\
        MediaType=0,Quality:PenSet=2,PS:MediaPosition=7 \
        -dIjsUseOutputFD -sOutputFile=- -sPAPERSIZE=letter -

And I've placed the ppd file in

        /usr/pkg/share/ppd/HP_DeskJet_6940-hpijs.ppd.gz

But whenever I try to print a postscript file, I get one line of text instead of the desired document:

        **** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.

(I'm 99% certain that this message comes from hpijs, and not from gs, since the word "initial" appears nowhere in the gs executable!)

Any hints?

BTW, suggestions to replace print/magicfilter with print/cups won't work. It seems that cups requires the print/poppler-utils package, which has an install conflict with xpdf...

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |